Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Don't Ever Miss the Chance. . . . It might be your last


Emily sat at the window, reading a book. The phone rang, and she ran to pick it up. "Hello, Bright's residence, this is Emily speaking."

"Emily? Can you tell your dad that the boys were in a rollover today? Do you mind coming over? Everybody's pretty shooken up..."

Emily's heart started beating quicker and quicker. She put down the receiver and soon they were on their way.

Just half an hour earlier, a van and a trailer pulled out of the driveway. They were on the way to the butcher's about an hour away to haul 2 slaughtered head of cattle. The four brothers were looking forward to a good car trip down there, little knowing the dangers they would encounter next.

As they traveled down the dirt road at a slow speed of around 40 mph, the trailer began to fishtail on the road. The weight on the trailer was uneven, so that one part of the trailer was somewhat unsteady.

Before anyone could know what was happening, the trailer and the van jackknifed, going sideways down the road. The driver wasn't sure what to do. He knew he couldn't panic. He opened his mouth to say something, but words wouldn't come.

Then the scariest thing happened. The trailer detached from the truck and the truck, because of the force of the detachment, rolled off the road.

David, the driver, was praying the whole time. "Oh God. Please help us. Help us now." Silently, he watched in terror as the driver's side hit the ground and finally, after what had seemed like hours, the van ended up on its side next to the road.

Josiah, his little brother, was crying in the back. One by one, David helped extricate each one of the 4 passengers from the wreck. When he got out, he sank to his knees.

"Thank you Lord!" he said, lifting his hands to the heavens. All 3 of his brothers knelt down beside him and after thanking the Lord for his wonderful preservation, they called the house.

"Mom." David said shakily, when his mom picked up the phone. "First of all, we're okay, but we just rolled the van. Can you come pick us up?"

On the other end of the line, David could hear his mom intake her breath sharply and then answer calmly. "We're on our way, David."

In just a few moments the rest of the family was there. Each family member hugged and cried, after knowing that 4 of their precious family had almost met with near death.

This has been something I've been pondering over a lot in the past 3-4 years of my life. The question has gone through my head over and over. "What would I do? What would I say? How would I react if I got the news that my mom, my dad, my sisters, or my brother were killed? My first thought of course is to push off the thought and think, "Oh, but that won't happen."

My exhortation to those who read this blog tonight is don't put off saying I love you. Say it and mean it. Live it. Love with your whole heart. Love with sacrifice. When you feel tempted to yell at your little brother to close the door quietly when he leaves the house to go with mom to the grocery store, don't. Don't waste those precious moments you spend in anger and frustration.

The excuse, I'm not very affectionate, doesn't work. I'm sorry. Even the least affectionate people will regret the chance they passed by to say I love you when the unexpected news comes. Don't let the regret fill your heart over the times you didn't say, "I'm sorry. I was wrong."

Life is so fleeting. It can pass by so quickly, and we may not notice the time that has slipped from our grasp. When you get married and move from your home, you don't want to regret the time you spent playing your videogames, chatting with your friends, reading your favorite comic book, instead of talking with your sister over her struggles, discussing things with your brother, praying with your siblings and parents, sharing your heart with your parents, and doing the seemingly mundane things to build and strengthen relationship.

Cherish each moment. You may never know when you will get that phone call that Daddy isn't coming home. You may never know when the last time you say goodbye is truly the last time on this earth. We can't predict the future. Each morning or evening as our dad walks out the door for work, he is walking out into a sinful world, full of death and destruction. There are reckless drivers, potholes that could throw a driver into spinning out of control.

My point is not to be scared for your family's welfare. God has our lives in His hand. He is protecting us every moment of the day He is sovereignly ordaining every event of our life. He teaches us lessons for a reason. He saves us from drowning, from a car rolling off the highway, from a plane crash, to show His almighty power and His care for us.

Put the effort behind the love you express. Go the extra mile, even when you don't feel like it. When your mom asks you to take out the trash, don't grumble and drag your feet across the floor, slamming the door so that the house reverberates for the next 3 days. Every task should be a joy, to serve and show your love for those you love. If you say you love them, but don't ever show it, then it's not love. It's the hypocrisy many of us talk about and live in our daily lives.

Don't ever let your brother or sister or parent walk out the door, when you are angry at them. Go apologize. Humble yourself. Crush your pride, knowing that the love of your family is a priceless treasure.

Those we love, our grandparents, our parents, our uncles, aunts, friends, church family, sisters, brothers, cousins, etc... are gifts. Don't ever take for granted each moment spent. When you could be sitting learning from your grandma or grandpa place your priorities where they need to be. Show that you love and that you really care for those you love.

Here's a small excerpt that I like from the song, "Don't ever Miss the Chance." by Jim Brady.

Life can move so fast

We seldom realize

Everything can change

Right before our eyes

And all that we hold dear can slip away


Don't ever miss the Chance to say I love you

Show the ones you love how you feel inside

Cherish every moment while you still have time

You don't always get the chance to say goodbye

So don't ever miss the chance to say I love you


Soon you will slow down

when the time is right

The unexpected news

could take you by surprise

And all you planned to do

has passed you by


Practice love in your daily life. Love when you don't feel like loving. Let us love like Christ loved, for He is our ultimate example and the greatest lover of all.

Let me end with this passage:

1 Corinthians 13

Love
1If I speak in the tonguesa]">[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,b]">[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Signed:

E.S., learning to love and cherish every moment








3 comments:

Annina said...

Love you

Derek said...

what a great reminder.
We need to be living for Christ.
Because you could be the one that was in the rollover. We could be killed any day. We may not have to chance to have resolved something with someone or to repent from a sin. Don't take anything for granted. Treat every moment as if it could be your last. Great Post Em.

Emily said...

You are so right Derek! I know that I don't appreciate the people I love enough, and after that, I was shooken up even more to realize and be thankful for those I love! :)
Em

THanks Annina! I LOVE YOU TOO!